Of all the vile, despicable, wretched, evil acts that humankind can commit, murder, rape, torture, slavery, genocide, child abuse, why exactly is Blasphemy considered the ONLY unforgivable sin?
Why exactly is it that out of all the horrible ACTIONS that humans can commit, only WORDS are considered unforgivable.
Is God really so thin skinned? So petty? So easily insulted? I seem to recall a phrase from my youth 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.' Clearly this phrase does not apply to our allegedly all powerful Creator. Our thin skinned, whimpering, blubbering Creator is so deeply wounded that merely denying His existence or doubting the magics of his allegedly annointed one is the ONE unforgivable sin.
- Murder your fellow man? No problem. Just believe and you'll be forgiven.
- Rape a woman? No problem. Just believe and you'll be forgiven.
- Rape a child? No problem. Just believe and you'll be forgiven.
- Torture a child? No problem. Just believe and you'll be forgiven.
- Slaughter an entire people? No problem. Just believe and you'll be forgiven.
- Enslave an entire populations? No problem. Just believe and you'll be forgiven.
- Deny God's existence? Deny that Jesus' 'magics' were the work of the Holy Spirit? UNFORGIVABLE!!! YOU ARE DAMNED FOR ALL ETERNITY AND NO AMOUNT OF BELIEF OR PRAYER WILL SAVE YOU FROM GOD'S WRATH!!!
Christianity is and always has trafficked in fear. Blasphemy is the ONLY unforgivable sin because the one thing that Christianity itself has always feared is dissent.
Update: I am well aware that it is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, however, the three are one and the same. It's your trinitarian gobbledygook, not mine.